This summer we have two opportunities for high school students to level up their computer science skills!
- Are you new to computer science? Have you been curious about the SPARK! Hackathon? Do you want to learn how technology is changing the world? The SPARK! Bootcamp is a new week-long experience that will help get you ready for the SPARK! Launchpad, SPARK! Hackathon and any future computer science class.
- The SPARK! Launchpad is a two-week deep dive into all things computer science including skill building, design challenges and field trips to local tech companies and organizations.
- Bio-Med Tech-Girls, a collaboration between the UVa Department of Biomedical Engineering (BME), St. Anne's-Belfield School and Charlottesville Women in Tech, is a week is filled with behind-the-scenes lab tours, guest speakers, hands-on computer science learning and a design challenge.
- July 1 through 5, 9am to 4pm
- $200 (early bird rate), $225 (after April 15)
- July 8 through 19, 9am to 4pm
- $450 (early bird rate), $500 (after April 15)
- August 5 through 9, 10am to 4pm
2018 Summer Launchpad Highlights
15 students from eight area high schools took part in the inaugural SPARK! Launchpad experience in early July, a two-week experience that included skill building, design challenges, field trips to local tech companies, and guest speakers.
From creating their own websites and computer games to building character battle simulations to tackling coding tasks from WillowTree, the participating students were able to gain a broad look at opportunities in technology in just a couple of weeks. Trips to organizations like Room Key and Linden Lab also helped them explore networks and careers possibilities in the Charlottesville tech sector.